Head of the Department: Prof. S K Bansal
Dr. Surendra Kumar Bansal obtained his M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Biochemistry from Lucknow University. After M.Sc. he joined as ‘JRF’ in Feb 1976 at Industrial Toxicology Research Centre (ITRC), Lucknow (now known as Indian Institute of Toxicology Research) and worked on pulmonary response to industrial dusts for his Ph.D. thesis entitled, “Biochemical Studies on Macrophages” under the joint supervision of Prof. GG Sanwal, the then HOD Biochemistry, Lucknow University and Dr. CR Krishnamurti, the then Director of ITRC, Lucknow. In May 1981, he joined as ‘Biochemist’ at Central Research Station at GSVM Medical College, Kanpur where he worked on clinical biochemistry, chronobiology etc. In July 1989, he joined as ‘Lecturer’ at VP Chest Institute and in July 2001 became ‘Professor’ of Biochemistry. His research interests include signal transduction mechanism and related areas viz. membrane lipid rafts, cytokine biology etc. in asthma and COPD, molecular genetics of adrenoleukodystrophy and pharmacogenomics of asthma. He worked as Supervisor of several M.D. and Ph. D. students and completed several extramurally funded research projects. His work has been published in various national and international journals.
Dr. Bansal is on the panel of reviewers of various national and international journals and funding agencies. He was Guest Faculty Member of KN Kaul Institute of Life Sciences, Kanpur (January 1988 to June 1989), Guest Faculty Member at ACBR, University of Delhi, (July 1999 to 2002) and Visiting Professor at B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal (June 2003 to August 2003). He served as Secretary General of Biotechnology Society of India (July 1999 to December 2010). He is serving as the Secretary of Association of Clinical Biochemistry of India (Delhi Chapter), since May 2008.
A) RESEARCH AREAS
Research in asthma and COPD including signal transduction mechanisms and related areas viz. membrane lipid rafts, sphingomelin metabolism, adenosine metabolism, cytokine biology, pharmacogenomics etc. and molecular genetics of adrenoleukodystrophy.
B) ONGOING AND COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS
As PI (Grant-in-Aid)
1) “Pharmacogenomics of Bronchial Asthma: A Study on Polymorphism in b2 Adrenoceptor (ADRB2) and Corticotropin Releasing Hormone Receptor 1 (CRHR1) Genes in Responders and Non-Responders to Salbutamol and Budesonide”, funded by Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, April 2010.
Completed Research Projects:
As PI (Grant-in-Aid)
1) “Studies on mechanism of signal transduction during release of proinflammatory cytokines IL-1b and TNF-a by alveolar macrophages in asthma” funded by ICMR, Nov 2001 to April 2006.
2) “Transmembrane signalling in bronchial asthma” funded by DST, Dec 1996 to May 2001.
3) “Transmembrane signalling, protein kinase C and protein nutrition” funded by ICMR Dec 1990 to March 1995
4) “Molecular and Biochemical Basis of Variation in Clinical Phenotypes of Adrenoleukodystrophy” funded by CSIR (as SRF to Mr. Neeraj Kumar), Sept. 2006 to August 2009
5) “A study on lipid rafts: Evaluation of the activity of phospholipase A2, sphingomyelinase and protein kinase C in asthmatic patients using erythrocyte membrane as model”, funded by ICMR (as SRF to Miss Prachi Gupta), Nov. 2007 to Oct. 2010.
6) “Role of Membrane Lipid Rafts in Bronchial Asthma: A Study on Erythrocyte Membrane” funded by Lady Tata Memorial Trust (as JRF to Ms. Prachi Gupta), August 2005 to July 2007
7) “Identification and Evaluation of Phosphorylation of Target Proteins of Protein Kinase C in Lymphocytes and Airway Smooth Muscles of Guinea Pig during Asthmogen-Cell Interaction”, funded by CSIR (as SRF to Ms Sumbul Fatma) April 2001 to March 2003.
8) “Histamine induced changes in transmembrane signalling in alveolar macrophages. A study on protein kinase C and protein phosphorylation”, funded by CSIR (As Research Associateship to Dr AS Jaiswal), Jan. 1996 to June1996.
9) “Effect of vitamin A deficiency on signal transduction”, funded by ICMR (As SRF to Ms Rachna Kathayat), Dec 1994 to Sep 1996.
10) “Role of endothelin in bronchial asthma. A study on membrane phospholipid turnover and protein kinase C” funded by ICMR (As SRF to Mr AS Jaiswal), Dec. 1991 to Aug. 1995.
C) LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
1. Bansal SK, Gupta GSD, Kaw JL. Antigenic determinant in the post mitochondrial lung fraction. Indian J Pathol Micro 22: 109-112, 1979.
2. Bansal SK, Kaw JL. Lactate dehydrogenase isoenzymes in alveolar macrophages and serum during the development of pulmonary silicosis. Toxi Lett 7: 279-283,1981.
3. Waseem M, Bansal SK, Gupta GSD, Kaw JL. Cytotoxic and hemolytic action of coal-quartz mixtures. Arch Environ Health 37: 352-357,1982.
4. Sharma PK, Bansal SK, Singh DR. Surface architecture and lipid peroxidation in the fourth ventricular floor in the developing human foetuses. J Anat Sci 7: 18-23, 1985.
5. Bansal SK. Carbohydrate metabolism in the rat peritoneal macrophages. J Biosci 12: 415-420, 1987.
6. Bansal SK, Kaw JL. Kinetics of the release of macrophage cellular constituents in response to quartz dust exposure in vitro and in vivo. Arogya-J Health Sci 14: 109-114, 1988.
7. Singh RK, Bansal A, Bansal SK, Rai SP. Circadian variations of blood and urinary constituents in renal stone formers In : Chronobiology : Its Role in Clinical Medicine, General Biology and Agriculture, Part B [Eds. Hayes DK, Pauly JE, Reiter RJ] Wiley-Liss Inc. USA, pp 551-557, 1990.
8. Singh RK, Bansal A, Bansal SK, Rai SP. Circadian rhythms of common laboratory profiles in serum and urine of healthy Indians. In: Chronobiology: Its Role in Clinical Medicine, General Biology and Agriculture, Part B [Eds. Hayes DK, Pauly JE, Reiter RJ] Wiley-Liss Inc. USA, pp 559-568, 1990.
9. Singh RK, Rai SP, Bansal A, Bansal SK., Singh HN. Circadian variations of some laboratory profiles of cardiovascular importance in healthy Indians. Rec Adv Nutr 2: 55-59, 1990.
10. Kumar V, Srivastava N, Grover SK, Jaiswal AS, Bansal SK, Misra UK. Phosphoinositides of sheep platelet plasma membrane. Indian J Biochem Biophys 28:133-135, 1991.
11. Gupta GSD, Bansal SK, Kaw JL. Assessment of lipid peroxidation inhibitory potential of bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from rat lungs. Indian J Chest Dis All Sci 33: 175-181, 1991.
12. Bansal SK, Singh RP, Narang RK, Joshi LD, Bansal A, Agarwal AK. Serum adenosine deaminase in pulmonary tuberculosis, malignancy and non-tubercular respiratory diseases. Indian J Chest Dis All Sci 33: 187-191, 1991.
13. Bansal SK, Gupta AK, Bansal A, Rajput VS, Joshi LD. Chemical composition of biliary calculi from Kanpur region. Indian J Clin Biochem 7: 27-29, 1992.
14. Singh RK, Bansal A, Bansal SK, Upadhyay AK, Singh VK. Nyctohemeral rhythmicity of urinary copper levels in healthy Indians and renal stone formers. Indian J Clin Biochem 7: 61-65, 1992.
15. Bansal SK, Kaw JL. Influence of quartz dust on lactate production in peritoneal macrophages. J Environ Biol 13: 175-179, 1992.
16. Bansal SK, Pandey HN, Bansal A, Joshi LD. Diurnal variation in serum glucose, pyruvate lactate and lactate dehydrogenase levels under different environmental temperatures. Indian J Clin Biochem 7: 179-184, 1992.
17. Singh RK, Mahdi AA, Singh AK, Bansal SK, Wu J, Zhou S, Halberg F. Circadian variation of human circulating cholesterol components on vegetarian and omnivorous diets in healthy Indians. Indian J Clin Biochem 7: 185-192, 1992.
18. Singh RK, Bansal A, Bansal SK, Singh AK, Mahdi AA. Circadian periodicity of calcium oxalate crystallization in healthy Indians and renal stone formers. Eur Urol 24: 387-392, 1993.
19. Naithani A, Bansal SK, Bansal RK, Joshi LD. Effect of ascorbic acid on serum cholesterol in hypercholesterolemic cardiac patients. Indian J Clin Biochem 9: 98-99, 1994.
20. Jaiswal AS, Bansal SK. Endothelin: Secretion and Functions. J Basic Appl Biomed 2: 1-20, 1994.
21. Bansal SK, Kaw JL. Oxidative metabolism during quartz and chrysotile interaction with peritoneal macrophages in vivo. Indian J Exp Biol 33: 622-624, 1995.
22. Jaiswal AS, Misra UK, Bansal SK. Differential activity of protein kinase C in alveolar and peritoneal macrophages. Indian J Biochem Biophys 33: 116-121, 1996.
23. Bansal SK, Jaiswal AS, Kathayat R, Basir SF, Misra UK. Effect of dietary protein manipulation on translocation of protein kinase C in various tissues of rats. Indian J Exp Biol 34: 197-200, 1996.
24. Bansal SK, Jha A, Jaiswal AS, Chhabra SK. Increased levels of protein kinase C in lymphocytes in asthma. Possible mechanism of regulation. Eur Respir J 10: 308-313, 1997.
25. Kathayat R, Jaiswal AS, Basir SF, Bansal SK. Dietary protein deficiency induced changes in protein kinase C activity and phospholipid metabolism in rat hepatocytes. Indian J Exp Biol 35: 972-976, 1997.
26. Bansal SK, Kathayat R, JaiswalAS, Taneja KK, Malhotra P, Basir SF. Effect of feeding protein deficient diet on phospholipid turnover and protein kinase C mediated protein phosphorylation in rat brain. Indian J Exp Biol, 38: 323-331, 2000
27. Agarwal MK, Singh P, Bansal SK. Allergic Diseases: Basic Immune response. In Advances in Allergy and Asthma. Ed. Dr. Rajendra Prasad. Shivam Publications, Lucknow, India 2000, pp 1-19.
28. Fatma S, Mushinski JF, Bansal SK. Multiple isoforms of protein kinase C in lymphocytes and airway smooth muscle of guinea pig. Indian J Biochem Biophys, 38: 280-284, 2001.
29. Agarwal MK, Gupta S, Chawla S, Bansal SK, Vijayan VK. Cross-reacting and unique allergenic and antigenic components in insect extracts using for the diagnosis and immunotherapy of patients suffering with respiratory allergy. In: Trends in Clinical Biochemistry and Laboratory Medicine, Eds P. Usha Sarma et al, Publication of Assoc. Clin. Biochem. India, 2003, pp 314-324.
30. Agarwal MK, Bansal SK, Vijayan VK, Gupta S. Heterogeneity of immune response to various aero-allergens in patients with IgE mediated type I allergic naso-bronchial disorders. In: Recent Advances in Molecular Medicine, Allergy and Immunology. Eds Bonny Pilo, Nair MPN, Patel MS, Ramchand CN, Allied Publishers Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, 2003; pp 141-150.
31. Charanjeet Kaur, Bansal SK, Chhabra SK. Study on Serum and Urinary Cortisol Levels of Asthmatic Patients after Treatment with High Dose Inhaled Beclomethasone Dipropionate or Budesonide. Indian J Chest Dis All Sci. 47: 89-95, 2005.
32. SK Bansal, R Kathayat, M Tyagi, KK Taneja, Seemi F Basir. Phospholipid metabolism and protein kinase C mediated protein phosphorylation in dietary protein deficiency in rat lung. Indian J Exp Biol. 2005; 43: 606-613.
33. Gulati R, Kumar A, Bansal S, Tyagi YK, Tyagi T, Ponnan P, Malhotra S, Jain SK, Singh U, Bansal SK, Raj HG, Dwarkanath BS, Chaudhury NK, Vij A, Vijayan VK Rastogi RC, Parmar VS. Calreticulin transacetylase (CRTAase): Identification of novel substrates and CRTAase-mediated modification of protein kinase C (PKC) activity in lymphocytes of asthmatic patients by polyphenolic acetates. Pure Appl Chem 2007; 79: 729-737.
34. Agarwal MK, Bansal SK. Immune response in health and disease with special reference to respiratory allergy. In: Clinical Allergy: Principle, Practice and Management. Eds. V.K. Jain & Anil Arora. Madhu Publications, Bikaner, India 2007, pp 1-12
35. Kausar MA, Vijayan VK, Bansal SK, Menon BK,Maansi Vermani, Agarwal MK. Mosquitoes as sources of inhalant allergens: Clinico immunologic and biochemical studies. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007; 120(5):1219-21.
36. Kumar N, Shukla P, Taneja KK, Kalra V, Bansal SK. A Novel De Novo ABCD1 Gene Mutation in an Indian patient with Adrenoleukodystrophy. Pediatric Neurology 2008; 39: 289-292.
37. B Mahajan, VK Vijayan,MK Agarwal, SK Bansal. Interleukin-1b as Serum Marker for Differentiation of Asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Biomarkers 2008: 13; 713-727.
38. Gupta S, Sharma SB, Bansal SK, Prabhu KM. Antihyperglycemic and hypolipidemic activity of aqueous extract of Cassia auriculata L. leaves in experimental diabetes. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2009: 123; 499–503.
39. Kumar N, Taneja KK, Kalra V, Behari M, Aneja S, Bansal SK. Novel human pathological mutations. Gene symbol: ABCD1. Disease: Adrenoleukodystrophy.
Hum Genet. 2009 Aug;126(2):344.
40. Gupta S, Sharma SB, Prabhu KM, Bansal SK, Protective role of Cassia auriculata leaf extract on hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress and its safety evaluation. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2009: 46; 371-377
41. Singh U, Kumar A, Sinha R, Manral S, Arora S, Ram S, Mishra RK, Gupta P, Bansal SK, Prasad AK, Biswal S, Parmar VS, Raj HG. Calreticulin transacetylase catalyzed modification of the TNF-alpha mediated pathway in the human peripheral blood mononuclear cells by polyphenolic acetates. Chem Biol Interact
42. Gupta S, Sharma SB, Singh UR, Bansal SK, Prabhu KM. Elucidation of mechanism of action of Cassia auriculata leaf extract for its antidiabetic activity in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.
J Med Food. 2010; 13(3):528-34.
43. Kumar N, Taneja KK, Kumar A, Nayar D, Taneja B, Aneja S, Behari M, Kalra V, Bansal SK. Novel Mutation in ATP-Binding Domain of ABCD1 Gene in Adrenoleucodystrophy. J Gen 2010; 89: 473-477.
44. Gupta P, Vijayan VK, Bansal SK. Sphingomyelin Metabolism in Erythrocyte Membrane in Asthma. J Asthma 2010; 47 (09): 966-971.
45. Raj HG, Kumar A, Kumari A, Bansal B, Ponnan P, Singh P, Priya N, Gupta G, Arora S, Baghel AS, Goel S, Gulati R, Singh U, Tandon R, Saluja D, Dwarkanath, BS, Bhat AN, Tyagi, TK, Verma A, Rohi V, Prasad AK, Kohli E, Vij A, Bansal SK, Vijayan VK, Jain SC, Rastogi, RC, Parmar VS. Prospects for the development of polyphenolic acetate as the potential drug candidate: A review. In Comprehensive Bioactive Natural Products: Structural modifications & developments, Eds. Gupta VK, Taneja SC, Gupta BD, Studium PressLLC, USA, 2010, Vol 7, pp 77-95.
46. Manral S, Bhatia S, Sinha R, Kumar A, Rohil V, Arya A, Dhawan A, Arya P, Joshi R, Sreedhara SC, Gangopadhyay S, Bansal SK, Chatterjee S, Chaudhury NK, Vijayan VK, Saso L, Parmar VS, Depass AL, Prasad AK, Raj HG. Normalization of deranged signal transduction in lymphocytes of COPD patients by the novel calcium channel blocker H-DHPM.
, Biochimie. 2011; 93(7):1146-56.
47. Gupta S, Sharma SB, Singh UR, Bansal SK. Salutary Effect of Cassia auriculata Induced Atherosclerotic Environment in Streptozotocin Rats, Cardiovasc Toxicol 2011; 11: 308–315.
48. Kumar N, Taneja KK, Kalra V, Behari M, Aneja S, Bansal SK. Genomic Profiling Identifies Novel Mutations and SNPs in ABCD1 Gene: A Molecular, Biochemical and Clinical Analysis of X-ALD Cases in India.
PLoS One. 2011;6(9):e25094.
49. Gupta P, Vijayan VK, Bansal SK. Changes in protein profile of erythrocyte membrane in bronchial asthma.Journal of Asthma, 2012; 49: 129–133.
50. Gangopadhyay S, Vijayan VK, Bansal SK. Lipids of erythrocyte membranes of COPD patients: A quantitative and qualitative study. COPD, 2012; 9:1–10.