Officer-in-Charge: Dr Ritu Kulshrestha, Assistant Professor
Dr Ritu Kulshrestha joined the department of Pathology in 2005 and since then has established two new laboratories in the department; the Coagulation laboratory (2006), Molecular Pathology Laboratory (2009). The new techniques which have been standardized and introduced, include; Polarizing Microscopy (2006), Immunohistochemistry (2007), Fluorescence Microscopy (2009), Frozen section facility (2009), Morphometry (2009), Multidiscussion microscopy facility (2010), Polymerase chain reaction (2010), Insitu and Real time PCR (2011). During this period Dr Ritu has been principal investigator of two extramural research projects , edited 3 books, received two international fellowships, organized two International conferences, two National conferences and one workshop on different aspects of lung diseases, published 45 papers in Journals and Chapters in books, presented 41 papers, co-supervised 5 MD thesis and is presently pursuing her PhD.
1.Gross Lung Pathology: A Color Atlas. (Eds) Kulshrestha R, Vaideeswar P, Amonkar G, Gruber-Mosenbacher U, Popper HH. Vidyanilyam Prakashan. 2011. ISBN No: 978-81-920546-1-9
2. Environmental and Occupational Lung Health: A pathological analysis. (Eds) Vijayan VK, Tazelaar HD, Popper HH, Ulrike GM, Kulshrestha R. Vidyanilyam Prakashan. 2010. ISBN No: 978-81-920546-1-5
3.Transbronchial lung biopsy interpretation. (Eds) Vijayan VK, Tazelaar HD, Kulshrestha R. Vidyanilyam Prakashan. 2010. ISBN No: 978-81-920546-1-2
Fellowship/Training received :
1. Fellowship to attend the Postgraduate course on Lung, Mediastinal and Pleural diseases. Department of Pathology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria. July 2011.
2.Geraldine Zeiler fellowship at Mayo clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA in the Department of Pathology, under the direction of Dr. Thomas Colby, Dr. Kevin Leslie and colleagues. June 2009.
3.Ongoing PhD: Since August 2009, under supervision of Prof K. Ravi and Prof A.K. Dinda at V.P. Chest Institute, University of Delhi, entitled, ‘Pathophysiological studies in bleomycin induced pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis in rat model’
Organization of Conferences National/International
1. Organizing secretary of the ‘Workshop on Transbronchial lung biopsy interpretation’2010 and the ‘International Conference on Pathology of Environmental lung disease (POED 2010), V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, 29-30th November 2010
2. Joint Organizing Secretary of National Seminar on Environmental lung diseases. V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, 5th April 2009.
3. Organizing secretary of the ‘International Conference on Pathology of Chest Diseases: An integrated Approach’ under the auspices of Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute at Paintal Memorial Golden Jubilee Auditorium, Delhi University, 6th-7th December 2008.
4. Organizing Secretary of ‘National Symposium on Lung Pathology’ on 5th April 2007, on the occasion of the 58th foundation day, at Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, Delhi University, Delhi.
1. Nominated in the Marquis Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare 2011-2012 (8th Edition), NJ, USA.
2. Best Paper Award: “Kulshrestha R, Soundarya D. Correlation of microvascular changes of pulmonary arterial hypertension with FGF-2 expression in transbronchial lung biopsies”. At 4th Annual Conference of the Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute. Trivandrum October 1-2, 2011.
3. Best Paper Award: Nazir R, Fahim M, Kulshrestha R, Khanna M. “Inflammatory and cytokine responses of Influenza virus infection induced in murine model of allergic asthma.” at the41st Annual Conference of the Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology. 9-12th December, 2007, VPCI, Delhi.
4. Best Paper Award. Kulshrestha R, Sinha AK, Agarwal A, Mishra A. “Unusual gastric malignancies-report of 3 cases.” at the IX Annual Scientific Session, Sept. 2002, BPKIHS, Dharan, Nepal
Sponsored Research Projects:
Principal investigator in project entitled ‘The study of molecular mechanisms of epithelial myoepithelial transition in pathogenesis of pulmonary fibrosis’. Funding agency (CSIR).
Principal Investigator in DST FASTTRACK project entitled, ‘Role of angiogenesis, vascular remodeling, pulmonary receptor changes and their inhibition by phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors in bleomycin induced pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis. Funding agency (DST)
Coinvestigator in DST project (Dr S.K Chabbra, Principal Investigator) entitled, ‘Heart rate variability in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: associations with systemic inflammation and clinical implications. Funding agency (DST)
List of Publications
Papers published in Journals/ Chapters in Books (last 5 years)
1. Kulshrestha R., Menon BK., Rajkumar, Vijayan VK. Role of a pattern based approach in interpretation of transbronchoscopic lung biopsy and its clinical implications. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2012;54:9-17
2. Mittal V, Kulshrestha R, Arya A, Bajaj P. Acute fibrinous and organizing pneumonia presenting as complete lung consolidation. Singapore Med J 2011; 52: 88-90.
3. Bhagat R, Yasir A, Vashisht A, Kulshrestha R, Singh SB and Ravi K. High altitude simulation, substance P and airway rapidly adapting receptor activity in rabbits. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology 2011; 178: 329-36.
4. Kulshrestha R, Vijayan VK. Role of Nuclear morphometry in diagnosis of sputum cytological atypia in smokers. J Thoracic Oncology 2010; 5: S47- 48
5. Kulshrestha R, Vijayan VK. Immunohistochemical staining on fine needle aspiration biopsy cell block specimens for the differential diagnosis of lung cancers. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2009; 51:21-5.
6. Bhagat R, Yasir A, Vashist A, Singh SB, Kulshrestha R, Ravi K; High altitude exposure (HAE), Calcitonin Gene Related Peptide (CGRP) and rapidly adapting receptor (RAR) activity. Annals of Neurosciences, 2009; 16, PS I-16, 74.
7. Kulshrestha R, Sah SP. Pattern of Occurrence of Leukemia at a teaching hospital in eastern region of Nepal- a six year study. J Nepal Med Assoc 2009; 48: 35-40
8. Nazir R, Khanna M, Kulshrestha R. Time course of pulmonary pathology, cytokine influx and their correlation on augmentation of antigen challenge by influenza A virus infection. Indian J Exp Biol, 2008; 46: 151-8
9. Iqbal A, Aggarwal B, Kulshrestha R, Menon B. Talc granulomatosis mimicking sarcoidosis. Singapore Med J 2008; 49: 168-70.
10. Kumar S, Kumar S, Kulshrestha R. Osteolipoma of eyelid- a case report. Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 2008; 36: 473-4.
11. Gupta S, Kulshrestha R, Chabbra SK. Nontraumatic herniation of the liver in an asthmatic. J Postgrad Med 2008; 54:169-70.
12. Ramaraju K, Aggarwal B, Kulshrestha R, Chhabra SK. Unusual presentation of an uncommon lung malignancy. Lung India 2008; 25: 132-134
13. Kumar S, Kumar S, Kulshrestha R. Cystic Schwannoma of eyelid in an Indian male: a rare presentation. Orbit 2008; 27: 407-9.
14. Menon B, Kulshrestha R, Aggarwal B, Sharma S, Jain P. A rare case of non small cell lung carcinoma in an 18-year-old female. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2007; 49: 103-6.
15. Mishra RK, Kulshrestha R, Chabbra SK, Bansal SK. Changes in protein kinase C activity in airway smooth muscles during the development of airway hyper reactivity in guinea pig: a preliminary study. Indian J Clin Biochem, 2007; S 22.
16. Kulshrestha R, Kumar R, Transbronchial lung biopsy in diffuse cystic lung lesions – A diagnostic dilemma. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2007; 50: 241-2.
Papers in abstract books/proceedings/Presented in conferences (last 5 years)
1. Kulshrestha R, Soundarya D, Dinda AK, Ravi K. Role of bFGF signaling and the adventitial fibroblast in Vascular Remodeling: An experimental study of Bleomycin induced Pulmonary Fibrosis. The International Conference on Angiogenesis: Basics and Applications, Chennai, Tamil Nadu March 1-3, 2012.
2. Kulshrestha R, Soundarya, D, Kumari S, Menon BK. Correlation of pulmonary arteriolar remodeling on transbronchial lung biopsies with computed tomographic indicators of pulmonary hypertension. The 6th PVRI Annual General Meeting & 5th Scientific Workshops & Debates, Cape Town, South Africa, February 6-10, 2012.
3. Kulshrestha R, Soundarya D. Correlation of microvascular changes of pulmonary arterial hypertension with FGF-2 expression in transbronchial lung biopsies. The 4th Annual Conference of the Pulmonary Vascular Research Institute, South East Asia Region, Trivandrum October 1-2.2011.
4. Gupta M, Roshan R, Kulshrestha R, Chhabra SK. Interstitial Lung Disease Complicated by Tuberculosis and Lung Malignancy. International conference on pathology of environmental lung disease (POED 2010), V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, 29-30th November 2010
5. Roshan R, Gupta M, Kulshrestha R, Menon B, Chhabra SK. Combined pulmonary emphysema with interstitial pulmonary siderofibrosis. International Conference on pathology of environmental lung disease (POED 2010), V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, 29-30th November 2010.
6. Kulshrestha R, Divakaran N, Rahman M, Rajkumar ‘Haematological and coagulation profiles in acute exacerbations of COPD’ at 24th Annual Conference- Delhi Chapter, IAPM, U.C.M.S & G.T.B Hospital, Delhi, 11th April 2009
7. Kulshrestha R, Tazelaar H, Colby TV ‘Localized Dystrophic ossification in mixed dust pneumoconiosis’. at the 6th Asia Pacific IAP Congress at Kochi, Kerala 20th - 23rd August 2009
8. Mishra RK, Kulshrestha R, Chhabra S.K., Bansal S.K. Protein kinase C activity and pulmonary histopathology at onset of airway hypersensitivity in guinea pig model of asthma. European Respiratory Society, Vienna Congress, Vienna, Austria, 12- 16th September 2009.
9. Bansal S, Goel N, Caroli R, Kulshrestha R, Vijayan VK. Eosinophilic lung disease presenting as an opaque hemithorax. ICCAICON, Chandigarh, October 2009
10. Bhagat R, Yasir A, Vashist A, Singh SB, Kulshrestha R, Ravi K; High altitude exposure (HAE), Calcitonin Gene Related Peptide (CGRP) and rapidly adapting receptor (RAR) activity. Annals of Neurosciences, 2009; 16, PS I-16, 74.
11. Kulshrestha R, Menon B, Kumar R, Shah A, Vijayan VK. Is transbronchial lung biopsy helpful in the diagnosis of diffuse parenchymal lung diseases?- a two year study. In: 13th Annual conference of Indian association of Bronchology 2008, A8: 67
12. Kalra H, Thakur PK, Gupta A, Kulshrestha R, Rahman M, Vijayan VK. Comparison of clinical characteristics and outcomes with hematological and coagulation profiles in patients admitted in ICU with acute exacerbations of COPD. In: Asia Pacific Society of Respirology, Bangkok, 20-22nd November 2008
13. Mittal V, Arya A, Kulshrestha R, , Bajaj P. Acute fibrinous and organizing pneumonia presenting as complete lung consolidation. International Conference on Pathology of Chest Diseases: An Integrated Approach. V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, December 6-7th, 2008
14. Mishra RK, Kulshrestha R, Chhabra S.K., Bansal S.K. A preliminary study on Protein kinase C and associated airway pathology in early phase of airway hypersensitivity in a guinea pig model of asthma. V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, December 6-7th, 2008
15. Srivastava V, Khanna M, Vijayan VK, Kulshrestha R. Regulation of Immuno-pathological Response in Mouse Lungs by TGF-β1 after Influenza A Virus Infection. V.P. Chest Institute, Delhi, December 6-7th, 2008
16. Kumar R, Nagar JK, Kulshrestha R, Kumar P, Singh A, Kumar M, Kumar D, Shrivastava JP, Gaur SN. Exposure of indoor air pollution and asthma in children at Delhi. In: 41st Annual Conference of the Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology 2007, A1: 57
17. Mishra R.K , Kulshrestha R, Chhabra S.K, Bansal S.K. Changes in protein kinase C activity in airway smooth muscles during the onset of airway hypersensitivity in guinea pigs as a model of asthma. Association of Clinical Biochemists of India Delhi ACBICON 2007.
18. Divakaran N, Kulshrestha R, Kumar R. Mean platelet volume, platelet count, absolute eosinophil count in asthma: relation to disease status and smoking. In: 41st Annual Conference of the Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology 2007, A6: 70
19. Kaushik R, Kulshrestha R, Menon BK, Vijayan VK. Correlation of immunohistochemical staining pattern on fine needle aspiration biopsy- cell block specimens with cellular morphology and radiological features for the differential diagnosis of lung cancers. In: 41st Annual Conference of the Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology 2007, A7: 55
20. Nazir R, Fahim M, Kulshrestha R, Khanna M. Inflammatory and cytokine responses of Influenza virus infection induced in murine model of allergic asthma. In: 41st Annual Conference of the Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology 2007, A17: 99